Monday, May 28, 2012

That's Not What Lovers Do


Suspicious eye contact on the tube
becomes a toast in a Waterloo pub;
a close walk through our streets
to your too-big for one twin bed.

Hollywood eye contact in the sun,
becomes a hostel hug and champagne:
a drunken misstep in the name of pain,
that’s not what lovers do.

He’ll name you things and pet you like
a piece of ornamentation, something
I could never pin you on the wall as.
So be it, be someone else’s pin-up.

I’ll be waiting for your fingers to slenderly
slip themselves into my ring: make you something
that’s mine. Poor fingers, never grasped
another’s back. You dig mine best, anyways.

While you’re away, tell me everything you do.
I know my eyes ought to be shut
but they’re glued against binoculars:
watching you.
What they see you do
they’ll know I agreed to.

That won’t keep them away
from my blue grey stormy eyes;
the torrents of vicious self-pitying floods
I’ll unleash if he gets to put you on his wall.

Just wait for me
instead
I’ll put you to bed.

-Grant Durando

No comments:

Post a Comment