Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Lily and I Look Up To The Sky


I watch fissures in the pavement
every crack, a suitable microcosm:
life, death, and organic rubbish.  

My head down, I think of what my neck
is doing to my jaw. It’s hard to open now:
painful joint, one-sided tooth alignment

The perfect crack exists for me, somewhere
in this sidewalk: deep enough for shade,
shallow enough to convince the nutrient river
to flow over me:
                        sentience
                                    agency
destabilization.

I need to be washed over
fertilized.

I am no weed nor leaf nor seed,
but rather a fleck of soil willing
to serve. Given the condition:

I can split this sidewalk into a grand canyon
Turn a desert’s rain into new-Thymes
Let the seed to make a lily find me
Let us be carried to the canyon rims
where the runoff collects, and our family begins.

-Grant Durando
                                    

1 comment: