Friday, August 3, 2012

Display of Power from the Bottom of an Ocean


I want to take a bus to the coast
vodka tonic portable bottle in hand
take my clothes off, go swimming
and float, giving my all to ecology.

It would be a night bus, one A.M.
packed with Mexicans who cook Italian
going home to crying babies and tired wives
they don’t envy me and my energetic one.

She’s only tired when I’m around
we don’t even have our child, yet.
If we did it would be far away
naked, awake, and on display.

***

Nothing can see me but the sun
cracking my skin open after days of floating
on my back.
As the sun pries my pores, the seagulls march
with hungry eyes. The water
creeps into my wounds.
I start to sink.
Face down now my eyes are just new funnels
for death through salt water to creep
the marlins love the taste.
I took the bus 10 days ago, at one AM.
Elevators take me down now,
the crabs play drums.
I can hear
            on my descent.

No one to see me now
I’ve been consumed without any regard
to my asteroids I’ve embedded in hearts
forests I’ve planted in minds.

If only she wasn’t busy being seen
she could’ve watered down with me
our eyes, only each other’s, burning
blue and green.

-Grant Durando 7/31/12

No comments:

Post a Comment