Tuesday, June 26, 2012

My Highest Cliff


It was bright enough to melt the sand
to turn each grain into liquid glass.
My fingers sift through the gelatinous shards
and watching it fall into moldless dust
I find my inspiration for a backbone.

I undressed my upper half to show the world
that I’m an alien, my belly button curves in and out
just like the mountains and valleys of the beach
as seen by the humble sand crab
and the dominating seagull.
My browning freckles indentify my shard.

Away from mountains and valleys
of beaches and predators
my associations
fall between aliens and fowls;

we can all fly, but do I have proof of their wings?...
indications of their abilities to mold my sifted glass
to form a precious mountain?

With no proof, there will be no hiking today.
My mountain is solemnly surrounded:
tufts of mist to moisturize.
The skies will force an opening
and give entrance and serenity to
my highest cliff.

-Grant Durando

No comments:

Post a Comment